When you think about how entwined technology is in today’s society, it can seem refreshing to step away from it all for a little while. However, there are a number of gadgets that can come in handy on a long trip, especially to keep your family and yourself entertained on a long bus or car ride! Here is a list of things you may want to consider taking with you for entertainment in between destinations.
- Laptop: If you’re a blogger, a laptop is a pretty essential piece of equipment. Even without an internet connection, you can download your pictures and write blog drafts. You can also use your laptop to watch movies or play games while you’re waiting to arrive at your destination. On the way home, a long ride is the perfect opportunity to go through and edit your photos.
- Tablet: If you don’t have the need to type a lot, a tablet is a great alternative to bringing a bulky laptop. You can play games on it, watch downloaded shows and movies, and play your favorite offline games to keep yourself entertained. You can even buy a memory card reader for your tablet so that you can download you photos onto it and clear up some memory for your camera!
- Portable DVD Player: DVDs are a great way to keep kids entertained in a car or bus. Portable DVD players are usually less expensive than a laptop or tablet. Bring your kids’ favorite movie along and they can spend a couple hours watching it! Having a DVD player is also handy if you want to use your laptop or tablet, and want to have something else for your kids to use.
- E-Reader: Hard copy books can take up a lot of room in your luggage or carry on and can add quite a bit of weight. Investing in an E-Reader such as a Kindle or Nook allows you to bring all your current reads with you on the go! Download some books on the city you’re on your way to and read up on the best attractions and places to eat!
- Camera: You want to remember your vacation, so don’t forget to take pictures! Read this blog post for travel photo tips!
- Handheld Games: Another great way to keep the kids (or maybe even yourself) busy on a long car or bus ride. Handheld game devices are easy to carry around. Just make sure that they aren’t playing the whole trip!
- Portabe WiFi: Do you get internet withdrawal symptoms? You can purchase a Portable WiFi device and have a connection while on the road! A data plan for these devices can be pricey, so only invest if you know you’ll be needing internet for work or other important issues. Remember, plenty of places offer WiFi for you to use (including many hotels)!
- MP3 Player and Headphones: Put together a new playlist for your trip, and have fun listening to it on the way! People tend to nap on long drives on the bus. If you don’t have anyone left awake to talk to, listen to your favorite music while taking in the sites outside of your window!
- GPS Device: You’re phone may have a GPS device, or you may have one for your car. Not only are these handy when you’re attempting to drive to someplace you’ve never been to before, but they become pretty useful when you realize you’ve been walking around for hours and don’t know how to get back to the hotel!
- Cell Phone: Stay connected. If you’re traveling in a group, make sure that you have each other’s cell phone numbers. That way you can find each other if you ever happen to become separated! Cell phones are also a great way to update people at home on your trip!
Lastly, don’t forget your chargers and extra batteries!
Remember, always keep an eye on your valuable possessions! If you don’t need to take it with you, it may be safer to leave it at home. Utilize the safe provided in your hotel room, and don’t ‘flash’ your electronics or money while you are out in public.
Technology can be a huge distraction. Try to make at least some time everyday to enjoy your destination technology-free!
Don’t have any long bus rides planned? Visit Lassen Tours and find a tour to someplace you’ve always wanted to see including the Grand Canyon, New York, San Francisco, Yellowstone, and Las Vegas!